As I mentioned in the Cinderella costume post, I had bought tulle for a petticoat but decided it would be too much for that costume. So I decided to make one for myself.
I did a super simple one just using the gathering foot on my serger. I had 2 rolls so I gathered one full roll to the other and then gather whatever that resulted in to another 2 tiers. There was still some leftover. I’m not sure exactly how many yards this petticoat is. It has a nice fullness although I usually like a little bit more. But even so I’ve used it several times.
The top tier was attached to a length of satin that I later fitted with elastic, and then I covered each seam with ribbon. This ribbon was leftover from a friend’s wedding probably almost a decade ago. She had no use for it, but knowing that I sewed (because I did all her table runners) she passed it on to me. Glad to finally find a use for it!
But man, did that take a while. Like I said, not sure how many yards this is, but it’s a lot. Oh, and I also used a length of ribbon to cover the bottom edge.
It wasn’t a hard project, but it was time consuming. Given how much Malco Modes petticoats cost, I would (and have) just buy from them in the future. It’s totally worth the time/money tradeoff. They make really nice ones in a variety of fullness, colors and fabric types. So unless I need something really specific like a special color combination or fitting a particular shaped skirt, I probably won’t make my own again any time soon.
Also worth noting that the tulle is a bit on the scratchy side. I didn’t line this, but I have it on my todo list (someday . . .) to add a satin skirt inside so it’s more comfortable.