This was the final project for the other class I took at Cañada College Fashion Department, Designer Techniques in Sewing. This was such a fun class. We basically spent the semester learning cool and fun techniques you could do to a garment to move from the basic pattern to something that is more “you.” You’ll definitely be seeing more of these popping up in my future makes! I had previously posted another garment from that class and the assignment for this one was similar: using the pattern of your choosing, apply one or more of the techniques you’ve learned in class to the garment.
I had great plans to draft another dress and add a keyhole back (one of the techniques that we learned), but my other project for the pattern drafting class ended up taking longer than I planned (not unusual for me) so I decided to go with a tried a true pattern and modify that which was a totally acceptable option and in fact even recommended.
I used the Sewaholic Renfrew Top which I’ve made several times before (for example) and so I knew it would fit well. I also already had this lovely organic cotton and spandex fabric which I bought ages ago from Stonemountain and Daughter that I had actually bought with the intention of making into a Renfrew. So it actually was a pretty obvious choice in the end — get my project done and mark an item off my todo list!
The modifications I made using new-to-me techniques:
- I changed the v-neck to be a cross over v-neck. The pattern already came with a v-neck bodice, but it had you do a v-neck with a seam down the middle. We had learned the crossover way which I had actually always been curious about. It’s actually not terribly difficult although I did still manage to get a tiny pucker. Not enough that it’ll keep me from wearing it though and I’ll definitely get it right next time!
- I added v-slits to the cuffs and one side of the hem band. I thought to echo the v-neck. I really love this detail actually, especially on the cuffs when they’re rolled up. And I love that it’s only on one side of the hem. It just adds a little bit more interest.
Simple changes, but it makes the top much more interesting.