Coming off the last piece that I made, this is what I made with the leftovers. I had just enough to eke it out.
The base is the Renfrew shirt by Sewaholic (one of my tried and true patterns) that I just hacked down the middle and shortened.
I really like the overall execution. I did a great job matching up stripes, if I do say so myself, even on the front with the binding. And the shape is quite cute. So I will definitely do this again with some other fabric.
But the binding is where things weren’t great. Up around the neck it really gapes as you can see in the photo above. Part of the issue is that the fabric has much less stretch along the grain. This means it’s great for some things (like the tunic I made), but not great for a binding when I wanted the stripes to go perpendicular and stretch more around the edge and less in the middle (as most bindings do). And I probably just didn’t stretch it enough as I went around the neck since it seemed to be fine around the corner. I tried though, honest.
Live and learn. So I donated this one since I wasn’t going to wear it (the next was too annoying), but it was a good practice and definitely a Renfrew hack that I will use at some point.