Here are the end results. Don’t they look lovely?
And here’s what I learned:
- I wouldn’t make the video recipe (#2). It was way too stiff and I have a couple of good recipes now.
- I wouldn’t make the first Martha Stewart recipe (#1). It never fully set (it’s still not set a week later). This may be because I didn’t hit the right temperature or it may be because I used too deep of a container to mold it.
- I would definitely oil my parchment next time.
- I think pyrex’s work better than the backing dishes in general although the Cooking for Engineers one was in a baking dish and came out pretty good.
- The successful Martha Stewart recipe was much fluffier and moister than the Cooking for Engineers recipe. I personally preferred the denser consistency of the Cooking for Engineers one, but some of my reviewers (I did some taste tests, very unofficial, in dance class) preferred the consistency of the fluffier ones.
- I will definitely be trying more flavors. Nearly everyone loved the almond flavor I added. Next time I’ll try some peppermint and or perhaps chocolate marshmallows. Need to figure out where to add the chocolate in though since it’s a powder . . .
The basic recipe for the marshmallows is very similar (that’s why you see fewer and fewer pictures as the trials go on–the pictures were all looking alike, but trust me, the same steps are there and look mostly the same. I took pictures when it didn’t). Now I feel pretty comfortable with it and will probably try to experiment a bit more.