So I finished it today. In fact I ended up doing most of the work today since I spent the rest of the week fixing up the pattern.
Read on for more details of how I did it.
So yesterday I did in fact do something. I cut out the fabric. But that was about all I had time for.
Today I got sewing. I started by stay stitching the necklines and arm holes.
Then I used my serger to do a rolled edge on those edges. I thought this would go best with the white embroidery on the bottom of the skirt and I’m happy with how it turned out.
Here’s how it looked.
Next I sewed the seams at the shoulders and side together and then serged those seams.
Next up was the elastic casing. First I sewed the two pieces together.
Then I folded the edges in and pressed.
Then I pinned it on the outside of the dress where I wanted it, and sewed it down close to the edges of the band. There is a little opening at the back. This is where the tie goes through.
The last step, which I don’t have photos of, is to sew the two tie pieces, attach those to a small piece of elastic and then thread it. And then you’re done.
Overall, a very simple dress. Now that the pattern is adjusted, I could probably put it together in an hour or two, especially using the serger.
However, I don’t find it particularly flattering to me. And my husband in no uncertain terms told me that he didn’t like it. So I will likely end up cutting it up to make a separate skirt out of it since I really like the bottom half and I really like the color, but it was a good experience. I think I just tend to need more fitted dresses to look put together.
And I leave you with a view of the back.
I LOVE this! I haven’t done a Frock by Friday yet, but I love following along! Your fabric is great!